Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Morning I Met Jake

The day before I was ordered to take Jake on a training day ride-along, I had spoken to him on the phone. Because of a highly sensitive case requiring investigation, I told him to meet me at exactly 8:30 in the morning the following day at the Quality Cafe in downtown Los Angeles.

The next morning rolled around, and I found myself sitting at a table alone, waiting on Jake to arrive. Frustrated at his refusal to obey my very first order, I read over the detailed notes I had taken on the case to try to calm myself down. At about 9:25, Jake finally showed up...



It was clear as soon as I met the kid that his attitude was not what it needed to be for this job. I should have walked out right then, but to be perfectly honest, I was worried about going into a meeting with a local drug lord on a $500,000 deal. I was realistic enough to know that if I tried to bust him by myself, his gang would fill my body with lead faster than I could flash my badge. So, I took Jake with me hoping his attitude would quickly change once he understood the circumstances we were under.

I had also mistakenly forgotten my wallet in my car which I parked three blocks away. I politely asked Jake if he could take care of the bill, which was just short of four dollars. Apparently, he resented this because when the movie released, the scene was depicted much differently. I had somehow been portrayed as the bad guy. What in the hell did I do to deserve that?

No comments:

Post a Comment